Getting a State Identification Card

For Renewals of Identification Cards

CT Non-Driver ID Renewal online: :

Connecticut Dept. of Motor Vehicles (Stamford Express Office)

Managed by The WorkPlace, Inc.

137 Henry Street

Stamford, CT  06902

Hours: By appointment only.

Schedule appointment:

For Application for Identity Card (Non-renewal):

Schedule an appointment for a Real ID here:

Connecticut Dept. of Motor Vehicles (Norwalk, closest hub)

540 Main Avenue

Norwalk, CT 06851

Hours: Tue., Wed., Fri. – 7:45 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Thurs. – 9:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.; Sat. – 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

General Phone: 860-263-5700


Application requirements: You will not receive a permanent driver license or ID card while at a DMV office.  It will arrive through the mail. You will keep your expiring license/ID and receive a temporary paper card.  For more on this, please see Central Issuance. After visiting an office, you can track the delivery of your new card.

The applicant must be a Connecticut resident. To obtain an ID card, qualified persons must apply at any DMV Hub Offices, as well as Enfield, New Britain, Norwich and Winsted.

Please note the following:

  • New-issue ID cards will not be processed at the Putnam Satellite office, DMV Photo License Centers, AAA offices, Milford Nutmeg State Financial Credit Union or West Haven City Hall.
  • When you arrive at the DMV your first stop will be at the information desk where you will be instructed to enter your information into the kiosk to start the ID card process. You will then be directed to the licensing/ID card issuance area with your kiosk receipt.

What to bring:

  • If you have a Connecticut-issued driver’s license or learner’s permit, you have the option to exchange it without bringing all your identity documents to DMV.  If you do not, please follow the instructions below.
  • The required documents from this list of acceptable forms of identification. If you are not a citizen of the United States, you will be required to show proof of your legal status in this country.  Please note: Puerto Rico-issued birth certificates dated before July 1, 2010, are not acceptable and need to be replaced. In short, you must bring the following:
    • Certified Birth Certificate or valid Passport (not copies). Non-U.S. citizens must bring proof of legal status
    • One additional form of valid state- issued ID
    • Proof of Residency form from an authorized shelter or transformed housing location
    • Two forms of ID, one from primary, one from secondary as described in the list of acceptable forms of identification in the link above, along with proof of residency
    • Proof of Connecticut residence (such as a utility bill, mortgage document, or a lease or rental agreement).
  • If you are a non-U.S. citizen, please see additional information .
  • Completed Connecticut ID Form Application (form B-230).  You must request a copy be mailed to you because it cannot be downloaded because it is a three-part form with carbon copies:
  • Payment for fee of $28.00.  Please see acceptable forms of payment.

The non-driver photo ID fee is waived for:

NOTE: If an applicant obtains a Connecticut Driver’s License, the identification card must be surrendered when a driver’s license is issued. Instructions for obtaining a Connecticut Driver’s License, starting with a Learner’s Permit, can be found at: