Getting a Birth Certificate

A few states treat birth certificates as public records. But most states require some ID to get a copy of your birth certificate. If you have little or no ID, the best approach is usually to ask a parent, spouse, child or other relative with standard ID to apply on your behalf, ideally before your release from prison. Some states accept Department of Correction discharge papers as ID to obtain a birth certificate, either by policy or by informal practice. You should call ahead to confirm whether the office will accept your DOC discharge papers as ID. Procedures for getting your birth certificate vary from state to state; if you don’t have standard ID, your success in getting a copy of your birth certificate may depend on the mood of the staffer you talk to that day. Help from a mentor or discharge planner may improve your chance of success.

Place of Birth:  Stamford

On the ground floor at

Stamford Town Clerk’s Office

888 Washington Boulevard

Stamford, CT 06901


Phone: (203) 977-4054

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 3:45 p.m.

Cost: $15.00 for wallet copy, $20 for full-sized copy

ID needed:In order to obtain your Birth Certificate you must provide a copy of your government issued photo ID or passport.

IF a government issued photo ID is not available, you must provide at least TWO of the following documents:

  • Social security card
  • Written verification of identity from employer, W-2 form or pay stub
  • Automobile registration
  • Copy of utility bill or bank statement showing name and address
  • Voter’s registration card
  • Release documentation from a correctional institution containing photograph of the former inmate
  • School or college photo ID

The Registrar has the authority to request any additional document from this list if authenticity of provided documents is questionable.

Who can ask for record:  Sec. 7-51 CGS –Birth records are confidential according to State Statute. Access to birth records less than 100 years old is restricted in Connecticut. The only persons who may have access to or be permitted to examine the original or any copy of a birth certificate or birth record include:

(1) The person whose birth is recorded, if over 16 years of age;

(2) Such person’s children, grandchildren, spouse, civil union partner, parent, guardian or grandparent. (NOTE: a father has access only if he is recorded on the child’s birth certificate);

  1. If you are a biological grandparent, you may purchase your grandchild’s birth certificate, with proof of relation (such as your child’s birth certificate). If your child was not born in Stamford you must provide an original birth certificate (containing the raised seal) for your child, in order to purchase your grandchild’s certificate.
  2. If you are obtaining a certificate for your spouse, you must provide your marriage license. If you were married in Stamford, we will be able to verify this in town records.

Any approved state agency or federal agency that requests a copy of a birth certificate shall supply to the registrar, a release signed by the registrant or by the agent of the minor child or legal guardian, accompanied with the requestor’s ID, authorizing a copy of the birth certificate be sent to the requesting agency. All other 3rd party requests are not to be honored.

What to do if you have the right ID and are able to go in person:

  • Fill out the online form found at:, and print a copy to bring with you
  • Bring your DOC discharge papers and any other ID you have. Please see section above for ID requirements
  • Bring/be prepared to pay $15.00/$20 (wallet/full-size) in cash, credit card charge, check or a money order made out to “City of Stamford”
  • Go to the City of Stamford Town Clerk’s office on the ground floor at 888 Washington Boulevard, Stamford, CT 06901

How long does it take: The copy can usually be issued in the same day.

What to do if you don’t have the right kind of ID: If you don’t have any ID, a family member who has an ID can request a copy of your birth certificate by going to the Vital Statistics Office. Your parents will only need a photo ID. Your spouse will need a photo ID and (if you weren’t married in Stamford) a copy of your marriage license. Your children will need a photo ID and (if they weren’t born in Stamford) a copy of their own birth certificate. Your grandparents will need a photo ID and (if your parent wasn’t born in Stamford) a copy of your parent’s birth certificate (mother or father, whichever is their child).

Place of Birth: Other Connecticut Towns


If you were born in Connecticut, the best way to get a copy of your birth certificate is from the clerk’s office for the town where you were born. Check the list of “Connecticut Town and City Clerks” to find the address and phone number. For example, if you were born in Bridgeport, you would contact the vital statistics Office at 202 State Street, Bridgeport CT, 06604, or call 203-576-8208. You can find this list online at:

Follow the procedures on that site.

Place of Birth: Outside Connecticut

If you were born outside the state of Connecticut,  contact the vital records office in the state where you were born for instructions on how to request a copy and get information on any fees.

Follow the procedures on that site.