Ask A Librarian
We can answer specific questions with brief, factual answers. We may also refer you to sources or other organizations. For answers to more complex questions, or research assistance, please visit your neighborhood library.
Questions are answered by reference librarians at The Ferguson Library and replies will be sent within 2-5 business days (i.e.,Monday - Friday). Questions submitted during the weekend will be retrieved on Monday.
If you request that we send your answer via mail or fax, include your address along with your question. If you need an answer by a specific date, please include that date along with your question. Please supply an email address. Requests without contact information cannot be answered.
For immediate service during business hours, or if you do not have an email account, please call our Reference desk at 203-351-8221/8222. Please read guidelines before completing this form. For complete addresses, hours, and telephone numbers of all the Library branches, see our hours and locations.
Please read these guidelines for submitting reference questions before using Ask a Librarian. If you request that we send your answer via mail or fax, include your address along with your question.
Types of questions we can answer:
- Brief questions that have a documented factual answer, such as a historical date or fact or the source of a quotation.
- Requests for suggestions about appropriate sources to research a topic. List any resources that you have already consulted so we do not duplicate your attempts. We can suggest additional sources you might want to consult.
- Types of questions we can answer: examples
Types of questions we cannot answer:
- Requests which require lengthy research.
- Questions requiring legal or medical interpretation. We can recommend and provide sources of information you can consult, but the Library cannot offer guidance or opinion in regard to these questions.
- Essays and school assignments. We can point you to information sources on your topic, but you will need to do the work of interpreting the resources and answering the question your teacher has assigned you.
- Types of questions we cannot answer: examples
The Ferguson Library's primary responsibility for reference and bibliographic services is to the residents of Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.A. Requests from the Stamford community will be placed ahead of non-Connecticut patrons in the queue waiting for responses. We wish to assist you with your information needs, but we must request that you obtain information from your local libraries and resources when appropriate. For requests from outside the U.S., we can only process requests that are specific to our collections or are for unique information regarding Stamford.
When you are finished typing, click the "Submit" button to submit your question to our reference staff. It is important that you tell us your deadline for an answer.